April 6, 2010

Dead Sea

Finally I'm getting back to pictures.
While the Goldby's were climbing mountains,


the Hembds were lazing on the beach.

The water was very slippery. I have always been just barely able to float on my back, provided I take a deep breath and keep my hands moving, and even then my face just barely stays out of the water and my feet drag way below the surface. In this water, however, I can float while holding my hands and feet out of the water! One woman was floating and reading a book.

See the guy way out there?

People buy this black stuff that you coat yourself with. I managed to get some that somebody left behind. It made my skin feel great for about three days afterwards.
Two nice little girls were playing nearby. They spoke mostly Hebrew. But I did hear one of them saying, as she smeared herself with black stuff, "I love it, I love it!"
Al didn't have a nice hat, so I didn't bother to take his picture.

Frosted rocks. With salt, though, not sugar. I wouldn't eat one either way.

We stayed there quite some time and didn't get any sunburn. I'm not sure how to explain that. The altitude (i.e. lack of it)? Salt in the air?
A hyrax. They sit very still so it's easy to get a picture.
An odd plant covered with tiny hairs. I didn't touch it, fearing it might be the stinging kind.

Another odd plant. This one has little spongey berries on it. They taste good--slightly sweet and very salty.



2 comments:

  1. That hairy plant is very strange. Are you sure that it wasn't covered in insect webs? Or mold? I have never seen anything like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those were plant hairs. Sort of like a cactus.

    ReplyDelete