June 21, 2010

Live and Learn

As I was waiting for the bus today, I saw the bus coming but I couldn't read the number. I was about to say, "Ma ha mishpat?" when I heard someone say "Eize mispar?" which is what I should have said. Then I realized I would have said, "What is the sentence?" instead of "Which number?"
I try to imagine what that sounds like to an Israeli. If I were to say, "please close the grapes" instead of "please close the drapes," it would be a pretty funny mistake, but nothing serious. Or what if I were to say, "what is the name of this tweet?" People would think I am a foreigner or that I have a speech defect. Or what if I should say "wants a ticket" instead of "I want a ticket," or "he's funny" instead of "she's funny." It might sound a bit childish, but you'd still know what I meant.
Well, live and learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment