Sharon says that she wants to be able to say, "I write." Here are a few of my thoughts on that subject.
Everything that you write on a blog has to suitable for those who you know read it, and also for those who might read it. Maybe "walk circumspectly" applies here -- with a view to things all around. I don't want to put on a different face for one person, and another for another. But the truth is, I have more than one face, and more than one hat, though I try to see that they are all honest and to some extent line up with each other.
I enjoy the writing of anybody that can write better than I can. Especially if they also happen to write on a subject that I am interested in, or have experiences that I can relate to. I'll never forget reading a blog by a woman who had to put ear-mite medicine in her cat's ears. It couldn't have been funnier, or more realistic.
I labeled myself "composer-linguist" at one point. Maybe I should qualify that and say "I would like to be a composer and a linguist." But you could look at it this way: If I am an artist and spend most of my time painting, and I'm not really satisfied with my painting, and no one likes my paintings and no one buys them, and it never gets any better, I am still going to call myself an artist, because that's what I am at heart, and because that's, well, what I do. Compared to another artist, I may be nothing. But compared to a non-artist, I am an artist.
So I am a composer and a linguist. Today, at least. I did indeed compose two songs several years ago that several people liked and I would like to get them printed out and/or recorded sometime. Er, yeah, sometime.
I have stayed away from Facebook, for obvious reasons, but I do feel like I'm missing something. I like to know what's going on. Blogging for me takes a lot of time, because I have to re-write every paragraph several times to make it sound right, and then maybe I change my mind and write something else. I would rather be brief, spontaneous, and somehow instantly be able to decide what is useful or edifying or necessary, without always concluding, as I most often do, that silence is safer, and therefore better.
Everything that you write on a blog has to suitable for those who you know read it, and also for those who might read it. Maybe "walk circumspectly" applies here -- with a view to things all around. I don't want to put on a different face for one person, and another for another. But the truth is, I have more than one face, and more than one hat, though I try to see that they are all honest and to some extent line up with each other.
I enjoy the writing of anybody that can write better than I can. Especially if they also happen to write on a subject that I am interested in, or have experiences that I can relate to. I'll never forget reading a blog by a woman who had to put ear-mite medicine in her cat's ears. It couldn't have been funnier, or more realistic.
I labeled myself "composer-linguist" at one point. Maybe I should qualify that and say "I would like to be a composer and a linguist." But you could look at it this way: If I am an artist and spend most of my time painting, and I'm not really satisfied with my painting, and no one likes my paintings and no one buys them, and it never gets any better, I am still going to call myself an artist, because that's what I am at heart, and because that's, well, what I do. Compared to another artist, I may be nothing. But compared to a non-artist, I am an artist.
So I am a composer and a linguist. Today, at least. I did indeed compose two songs several years ago that several people liked and I would like to get them printed out and/or recorded sometime. Er, yeah, sometime.
I have stayed away from Facebook, for obvious reasons, but I do feel like I'm missing something. I like to know what's going on. Blogging for me takes a lot of time, because I have to re-write every paragraph several times to make it sound right, and then maybe I change my mind and write something else. I would rather be brief, spontaneous, and somehow instantly be able to decide what is useful or edifying or necessary, without always concluding, as I most often do, that silence is safer, and therefore better.
No comments:
Post a Comment