March 28, 2016

Post-Purim, Laugh, Don't Laugh

Purim is over, and we're back to the humdrum. Especially today, since it's cloudy and the sink is backed up. A bottle of Drano made it worse.

Laundry is piling up and I don't want to wash clothes because the kitchen sink is clogged. No, I don't wash clothes in the kitchen sink. But I am suspicious that the main drain is clogged, and I don't want to risk flooding the floor when the washing machine empties, which has happened before.

When they talk about rain in Israel, that means the sky is cloudy and the pavement is wet. I look out my window time and again to see if it's actually raining, and it's not, but it must have been. I see wisps of clouds floating by that remind me of the really good skies, including clouds, that I have seen in Texas and Indiana. It's hard to get a good view of the sky or the moon when you're in a city. I can hardly remember when I last saw the moon.

For Purim I made myself a hat out of yellow and blue plastic bags. Only a couple people saw me wearing it, and they thought it was funny. I'm not sure why it was funny except maybe because of the bright colors, or maybe it was obvious it was made out of plastic bags. I thought it was actually a pretty nice hat. It was a nice shape, and what's wrong with wearing blue and yellow? Maybe because it was Purim they thought they were supposed to laugh. But what if I was serious?

In some instances I can understand why people laugh. Once I was with a friend who tried to teach me the alphabet in Malayalam. I repeated each letter after her, and sometimes we both laughed because I obviously couldn't make the sounds right.

But another time I was with some Africans and they tried to teach me the letters in some African language. I thought I was doing a pretty good job, but every so often they would laugh. Was I really saying them wrong? Or was it odd to hear African sounds coming out of a white woman's mouth? Or maybe I made a funny face when I said them?

So, ho-hum. What am I going to do today? There are a number of possibilities, but none of them stand out as being important. Maybe I'll just blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment