October 1, 2011

Old Book Find

Sometimes people leave clothes, usable food, books, and household items sitting beside the garbage containers. Poor people (and others) can help themselves to it. And sometimes people make tours of all the garbage containers for things they can sell.

Garbage collection occurs only after all the containers are full to over-flowing. I don't know if that is a pre-determined schedule, or if they deliberately wait until the last possible minute.

Last week I found a pile of books to look through - partially-used school workbooks (falling apart), a couple magazines, and one (ok, I need a word here. What is it that you call an item of great value that you find in an unexpected place?). [For example, I once found a book that I had been wanting to buy, Andrew Murray's "With Christ in the School of Prayer," and it was at a large auction/sale on a table with no other books, but lots of jars and old household gadgets.]

The book is "Complete Verb Chart: conjugation charts of all the constructions, groups, and forms of all the verb roots in the Hebrew langauge from Bible times till now with detailed conjugating instructions." Ninety-six pages of code to decipher, if I were so minded. It is awesome to think of the work someone went to to compile it. Even more awesome to try to imagine learning it all. Maybe later. Much, much, much later.

No comments:

Post a Comment