October 17, 2011

Traditions and Superstitions

Judaism contains more rituals, traditions and superstitions than you can imagine. I don't actually know anyone who believes and practices them all, but I hear of different ones here and there.
For example, you can't hold a baby while you're in mourning. If you do, something bad might happen to the baby.
If you're having trouble finding an apartment, you can hold a dead chicken over your head and say the chicken prayer. The people that did this found an apartment the next day, so they said, "It worked."
And it goes on and on.
Some traditions might have been quite sensible in the beginning, and some are based in some way or other on the Bible. Others are just nonsense.
"A sukkah must have at least two and a half walls covered with a material that will not blow away in the wind. Why two and a half walls? Look at the letters in the word "sukkah" (סכה): one letter has four sides, one has three sides and one has two and a half sides."
I haven't the energy to deal with too many traditions. Even birthday parties are too much. We buy kids toys they don't need and clothes they don't care about, but we think are cute. We put candles on the cake, make a wish, blow them out, then eat poison (sugar), and encourage small children to eat adult-size portions of cake and ice-cream. Then I go home and crash from the sugar, wake up and drink 2 liters of water to keep from getting a headache, and worry that my children will learn too late, as I did, that sugar is bad for you.
Traditions, rituals, and habits have a way of creeping into you life even when you don't want them to. True Christianity is diluted and polluted by all these. Family worship, morning and evening--very reasonable. The Lord's Supper, as often as once a week, but no Advent, Christmas, Lent, Easter. If I had to worry about what time to light a candle, or whether I said all the right prayers, I would be a mess.
But,
I Thes. 5:17 Pray without ceasing.
Rom 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered .

No comments:

Post a Comment