There's no shortage of apartments to look at. But there's a major shortage of all the things I want. Space, beauty, low price, right location, a bathtub, light, not too many stairs.
We looked at a decent-sized place shaped like a tunnel. The walls were covered with very nice wood, and it included furniture and appliances. But I can't live in a tunnel. Maybe a tunnel with a sunny courtyard, but not a pure tunnel.
Another place we looked at had more light, and a stony sort of charm, but would be hard to heat. I might have considered it, but the owner confessed that he lives next door and plays loud guitar late at night. That might be a problem.
Then we went on a long trek to find an apartment on a street called Madregot, or Stairs. Someone told us that it was on the other side of the main drag, but when we got there we saw only unmarked alleys, and someone else told us it was on the other, other side of the main drag.
So we went to the other side and kept going until we apparently passed the street, since it had a different name at that point, so we had to back-track. "Go to the street just past the dumpster." Which dumpster? About the third one. It's called a street, but you can't drive down it or ride a bike either, because it's a steep hill, all stone stairs.
Buildings are roughly numbered in order, so #5 should be somewhere in the vicinity of 3, 4, 6 and 7, shouldn't it? (Numbers changed to protect the guilty.) Actually it's not. First you turn left, go down some stairs, then you turn right, go down some stairs. At the bottom is the number 5 clearly marked on the front of the cave--er, excuse me, apartment. It does have a small courtyard filled with plants and trees, but I doubt if a speck of sunlight ever gets through. And it's a bit small, and by the time we go back up all the stairs I've decided that deep holes, wells, caves and tunnels are just not my style.
Which is fine. We'll just stay where we are. Our present apartment has only one real flaw--it needs more electrical outlets. But even if it had them, that wouldn't solve the wire mess you get with computers.
In the back of my mind has continually been an apartment we looked at some time back that I nicknamed "Cheery and Natural." It wasn't clear to me at the time, but now I realize it had my name written all over it. Too late now. But if it ever comes up for rent again, we should grab it.
Wuh-hunh?..... No, can't be. No way! ... It is! Cheery and Natural is for rent again! Fantastic!
Will it still be there Monday morning? I'll be up at 6:01 a.m. Monday morning hopping on one foot and then the other.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment