February 8, 2012

Non-towels and Summer

When you put a towel in a puddle and stand on it, it should absorb water, right? And if you put a towel in a bucket and it's hanging over the edge, water soaks upward, doesn't it? Or at least it does when I don't want it to. But my newest dishtowels from Wal-Mart don't absorb water at all. You can drown them and they still don't get wet. After an hour in the washing machine they get wet, maybe with the help of detergent.
And that's life.
I accidentally defrosted the refrigerator, which it needed anyway.
Spring is on it's way. I have an urge to do spring cleaning.  I have an urge to thoroughly organize, clean, paint, buy some pictures or hangings for the walls. But I probably won't. I'll just do a little cleaning and organizing and I'll open all the windows wide first chance I get.
Israel doesn't really have a spring. It's just winter and then summer. But spring is a state of mind you acquire after living in Indiana for a while. Summer is even better than spring. In the spring you start having hope that the gloom is not going to last forever. You start realizing that you're still alive and that you like being alive. But in summer, it's...summer! And you hurry to enjoy it, because you know it won't last, and you can't waste a minute.

Summer -- we all have seen --
A few of us -- believed --
A few -- the more aspiring
Unquestionably loved --
by Emily Dickinson
And, as is usual for Emily Dickinson, the rest of the poem is about the vanity of life. Now don't you tell me she's weird. I love Emily Dickinson. But I'd hate to stop where she did, spinning my wheels, and stopping short of faith. It's true that everything under the sun is vanity. But you can go beyond the sun, to the Son, and then everything becomes new.
"In the world ye shall have tribulation, but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."

2 comments:

  1. They have a Wal-Mart in Israel?!

    I've had the same problem with Wal-Mart dish towels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I bought them in the states. They were cheap (price) but they looked nice, but they don't work. The ones that came with my apartment work better, but I needed mor.e

      Delete