February 13, 2012

Some Psalm Success

After one year of trying to right Psalm tunes, I have one, yes one, tune I am truly satisfied with. Many others are under way and will soon be put to the test. What I really need is feedback, from someone who knows music, poetry and Hebrew. So many times I just don't know which way to go. A Psalm as it is is perfect poetry, but turning it into a song requires some bending, and there are a million ways of bending it, and I can't decide which way is best.
I have researched several different music notation programs, and have decided to keep using Crescendo but also use Muse Score, which is better for adding lyrics and will do pdf's. Many people like Finale, but I wasn't satisfied with the way it looked or the way it did lyrics. I downloaded a trial version of Sibelius but it crashed my computer, so forget it with Sibelius, which is overkill any. I'm just writing lead sheets, not symphonies. Several others are very awkward to use or hard to figure out, or will not type Hebrew characters, or my computer will not accept them. Anyway, Muse Score is free.
Some of the Psalms I most wanted to write tunes for I haven't been able to do, which is probably just as well; but now that I know a little more what I'm doing, maybe I'll come up with better tunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment